Today we attempted grocery shopping, it's gonna have to wait until next week when the boys are in preschool again (they are on break this week) and I can shop with just the baby. We had a relatively quiet afternoon, where amazingly they didn't get into anything they shouldn't have! (I'm still trying to comprehend this.) This afternoon while the baby slept we decorated cookies. The boys have been invited to a birthday party and since money is pretty tight until next paycheck I wanted t figure out something the boys could make. Jason suggested cookies and Mikey wanted the kind that could be frosted. So Sunday we spent the afternoon rolling, cutting and baking cookies. This was my first time doing this with kids, all I have to say about the experience is OY VEY! Jason wasn't feeling well so he wasn't much help. I got everything set up and ready to go, then I got sick and it took almost an hour to get started, so of course the baby woke before we were done and wanted to eat and poor Jason just isn't quite plumbed right for that job. So needless to say I was kind of dreading decorating the cookies without another adult, but God is good! The boys did great with the cookies, they had fun and didn't make any intentional messes. Their cookies are very sprinkle laden. They are so excited for the party tomorrow and to give Jonas his cookies (I just hope his mom doesn't hate me for loading her kid with sugar :) ).
We (I) took too long with the cookies and clean up so I didn't have a chance (AKA forgot to make time) to prep anything for dinner, so we used our discretionary money to eat at Carl's Jr. The kids got to play and get rid of some energy before bed and Jason and I were able to have some uninterrupted adult conversation.
While putting Samuel to bed I discovered he really likes the song, "Apples and Bananas". Every time I sing it for him he grins. I've tried singing other songs and he seems indifferent, but this one really gets his attention. He's too cute! I love my happy smiley baby, he's had such a calming influence on our home.
After putting the boys to bed Jason needed to leave for a meeting and Joseph came upstairs and asked for water and insisted that Mommy had to get it for him. He held my hand as we walked to the kitchen and then held my hand as we walked down the stairs back to his room. I'm not sure why it hit me so profoundly tonight, but holding his hand is one of the greatest things on earth. He was holding it because he loves me, not because I'm forcing him to like when we cross the street, but because I'm his Mommy and he's my little boy. I can't count the number of times I've been told to appreciate this time I have with them while they are young, because it won't last and nights like tonight make me simultaneously joyful and sorrowful. I'm joyful for the little moments that I have now, yet sorrowful for the future when those moments will be nothing but memories, it breaks my heart to think that someday my boys won't be little any more and won't need their Mommy to hold their hands. I know that they need to grow and be independent and I would be even more sorrowful if they did need me to hold their hand through everything in life. I am so grateful that my father in heaven sent me such wonderful children. They maybe a handful, but they are loving and kind and generous and happy. They are a constant reminder to me to do my best so I can remain worthy to have them with me for eternity. I love my boys!
No comments:
Post a Comment